White Lick Homeowners Association

Latest News

Monday, February 4, 2019

January 2019 Board Minutes

White Lick Home Owners Association Board Meeting Minutes
January 9, 2019
Plainfield Public Library

Board members in attendance: Stu Mason, Diana Laybold, Susan Chestnut
Property Service Management Group staff in attendance:  Susan Keene, Larry Edwards
Five residents in attendance.

Meeting was called to order at 4:33 PM by Stu Mason.

Motion made to approve October & November minutes:
1st  - Diana Laybold
2nd – Stu Mason

Financial Report:
Susan Keene went over the November & December Finance reports.  There was much discussion about several of the charges.
·       Susan Chestnut requested that the board see ALL invoice.  Susan Keene will scan and send out the Nov. & Dec. invoices.  Going forward, she will scan all invoices and copies of checks she has written and provide to the board. 

·       Four chimneys were done this year.  The 5th chimney was delayed by the Board due to winter approaching.  Susan C. requested that going forward when contracting with the masonry company for the chimneys we state the jobs must be done by Nov. 1st to insure we get the proper number done.  It was then explained that we get a cheaper rate from that company due to our willingness to be flexible and work around their schedule.

·       Susan C. inquired as to why we pay the masonry company a set amount per chimney yet we pay Property Service Group by the hour & materials?  Why do we not pay PSG a set fee as well?  Larry Edwards explained that each chimney is different and they don’t know exactly what it will require until they get into the job.

·       In lieu of the 5th chimney not being done, four garage doors were replaced at 243, 247, 264 & 281.

·       Susan C. emailed the other board members, prior to this meeting, several pictures of the neighborhood leaves that remain on the ground (all on East Drive & at the community area) and she requested one more round of cleanup.  It was determined that we have already went over budget on leaf removal for this year (2018) and we do not wish to dip into 2019’s budget, so the leaves will remain.
o   In looking at bids for next year, the Board will pursue a company who has the equipment to pick up the leaves themselves, so we are not dependent on the city schedule.
o   We are also looking at two individual pick- ups.  One probably in Nov. prior to Thanksgiving and the other in Dec. or so after all the pear trees have lost their leaves. 

·       Susan C. address the PSG charge for decorating the entrance for the holidays.  Rather than pay the PSG labor rate, she offered to provide the labor to decorate the signage herself at no charge. 

·       Susan C. questioned the charges for mailing the newsletter & coupon books (how many were mailed out?).  PSG covered the cost of the newsletter mailing error resulting in 2 individual mailings and over 60 coupon books were mailed to residents who still use this form of payment.

Motion made to approved November financial report:
1st -  Susan Chestnut
2nd  - Diana Laybold

Motion made to approve December financial report:
1st – Diana Laybold
2nd  - Stu Mason

Residents comments:
Jim O’Connor asked if we have raised our liability insurance & feels it should be raised.
·       We carry $2 million ($1 million liability & the umbrella adds another million).
·       Contractors are required to have $500,000 but most have $1 million.
·       Diana asked PSG to come back to the next board meeting with information about the level of liability insurance currently held by our contractors.

Jim also stated that the bylaws state that we pay a Certified Professional Accountant to review the books every five years.
·       Susan Keene advised the cost for a review is the cheaper option, while an actual audit would run substantially more.
·       Susan Keene explained the process of a review and what the CPA would do.
·       Stu suggested that we amend the bylaws to take this out if we were not going to be doing it every five years mainly due to budget constraints.
·       Jim asked that we let the community vote before removing it from the bylaws as he feels it should be done.   Jim said the bylaw state 67% must agree before changes can be made.  He suggested it be brought up to the residents at the next annual meeting in Oct. 2019.
·       Diana noted that if we are going to proceed with it, we will need to add it to the budget for the 2020 year.

One resident inquired why it seemed that the cost of repairs, services, etc. were not made readily available to the residents.  It was stated that the figures are not confidential and any resident can find out by visiting the PSG office or asking a Board member.

Architecture Committee report:
·       One resident had made a request to Diana Laybold to install a new storm door.  This was time sensitive as the resident saved money if purchased before the 1st of the year.  Diana saw pictures of the door and said it was like her door and those in the complex.  She telephoned Susan Chestnut (who serves on the Architectural Committee), explained the situation and the door was approved for installation.

Social Committee report:
·       Diana reported that she has had two residents express an interest in the community garage sale.  She will continue to ask for interest, but if there is not more interest, the board decided we will not purchase a road sign for the event.  The cost 2 years ago for the sign was $70.00.

·       Diana reported she is planning to have a community picnic in the fall. 

Old Business:
·       Mowing:
o   One of the companies reported they will use a push mower between the units, but did not confirm they would use them on the front lawns. 

·       We will find out what our #1 choice will charge us to come back a 2nd time for leaf pick up.  This was not included in their bid for 2019.

New Business:
·       Since we had to forgo the 2nd leaf pick up this year, residents in attendance discussed having a community day, where we join forces to rake & pick up the leaves, especially at the community area.  Nothing was finalized. 

·       Since we went over our budget on last year’s snow removal, Susan C. suggested that we stop providing and delivering ice melt to the residents and we allow the residents to purchase their own.
o    A resident asked how we went over last year with only 2 snow removals.  Susan C. elaborated that PSG did remove snow 2 times from the drives and sidewalks, but they also charge each time they shovel around the mailboxes (there are 10 boxes) and each time they deliver salt to the residents.  In addition, due to the large amounts of snowfall, PSG hired subcontractors to assist with the shoveling of the snow.
o   Stu discussed why the Board chose to provide the salt in the past because some of our residents may not be able to get the salt, etc.
o   Diana agreed we should stop the salt distribution.
o   Larry said that some of his other associations have a representative pick up the salt from the office and they distribute it, thus not having that charge.
o   No decision was made at this time.

·       The resident at 262 has requested that a tree be removed at that unit.  Diana checked into it and said the tree is very unattractive and needs to come out.  The board approved.

Motion was made to adjourn by Stu Mason
1st – Diana Laybold
2nd  - Susan Chestnut

Meeting adjourned at 5:59.

The next meeting will be held Wednesday, Feb. 13th at the Plainfield Library.
Laybold & Chestnut, 1/22/19 in person
Mason, 1/26/19 via e-mail
Print this post