White Lick Homeowners Association

Latest News

Thursday, November 14, 2019

October 2019 Board Minutes


White Lick Home Owners Association Board Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2019
Plainfield Public Library

Board members in attendance:  Derry Shrock, Diana Laybold, Susan Chestnut, John Schwegman
Property Service Management Group staff in attendance:  Larry Edwards, Susan Keene
Four residents in attendance.

The meeting began @ 4:32 pm

September minutes were approved via e-mail.

Financial Report:
·       Susan Keene went over the September financials. 
·       PSG had to pick up trash (tree brush) from two residences in late August & early September because Ray’s trash service did not take.  PSG was instructed by a board member to pick up the trash after it sat at the curb too long.  Susan C. inquired how the board should go about billing the resident in the future, as this charge should not fall on the HOA.  Diana will discuss in an upcoming newsletter to the community.  In the future, a homeowner will receive a call to pick up the trash, if they do not and PSG must do it, the homeowner will be charged.
·       Susan C. inquired about the rate with which PSG charges the HOA for office procedures such as mailing “do not trim” signs.  PSG said they recently had a rate increase on hourly office wages.  John asked if the HOA was notified of this change.  Since our existing contract with PSG is several years old (and reflects the old hourly wage for office work), Diana suggested that we have a new contract written and signed to reflect the new changes.  A small rate increase is not out of line & is reflective of the times.
·       It was noted that Berger Hargis mowers once again ran the large riding mower between Georgi Bruner’s residence and, for the 3rd time this summer, hit her air conditioner unit, displacing it several inches on its base.   Susan C. requested that PSG speak to Berger Hargis and request that in light of the issues & the obvious disregard for our request to push mow, the extra funds we are paying each week for push mowing be refunded to us.  PSG will contact Berger Hargis.
·       September financial were approved.

Architectural Committee:
·       Susan Chestnut reported there were four requests submitted last month:
o   275 E. Andrews requested permission to paint the front porch.  The Architectural Committee denied the request.
o   Additionally, 275 E. homeowner requested permission to leave the shed on the side of the residence until Spring. The Architectural Committee denied this request. 
o   277 E. Andrews requested to have security lights on the guttering of the home. The Architectural Committee denied the request. 
o   228 E. Andrews requested permission for work to be done to the crawl space.  The Architectural Committee approved the request.
o   230 E. Andrews requested permission to replace the front porch light.  The Architectural Committee approved the request.
·       The board discussed follow-up on the residents who received covenant violations last month and who did not comply by the due date.  Those residents will be contacted by PSG for further follow-up and adherence to the bylaws.
·       In order to stop the recent practice of making architectural changes BEFORE submitting an Architectural Change Request form and getting proper approval, the board is contemplating the institution of a $150.00 fine in the event a resident does not follow the proper procedures set forth in the covenants. 

Social Committee:
·       Sadly, it was announced that Jackie Holowka, 203 Andrews had recently passed away.  Diana will send flowers on behalf of the HOA.

Resident comments:
·       Jim Hale presented a proposal to the board about doing a mass cement repair on resident front porch steps.  Several residents’ steps are 9-10” in height (his included), which is difficult to maneuver. 
·       The board advised that the HOA does not pay the cost to repair/replace front or back porches or steps. 
·       Mr. Hale advised that his copy of the “Maintenance Responsibility Checklist” dated 1994 shows porches/steps are covered. 
·       The board advised that the current checklist is located on the PSG website.  The 1994 checklist was created by the property management company White Lick employed at the time.  It was not a “legal” document, but was the property management company’s opinion.  Several years ago, the board of directors asked our legal counsel to review the covenants and create an accurate checklist.  That checklist is on the website and is the checklist currently in use.  It is a legal document. 
·       John S. noted that the checklist on the website is not dated.  He requested that all documents be dated in the future.
·       The board thought Mr. Hale had a wonderful idea and assumed several residents would be interested in paying the expense to have their steps redone.  They asked Mr. Hale if he would give a short presentation at the Annual Meeting to see how many residents would be interested and perhaps the process could then be done on a larger scale thus providing a discount to residents. 
·       Mr. Hale agreed to speak at the meeting.  He stated he wants to redo his steps no matter what the neighbors decide, so he will submit an Architectural Request to get the proper approval.

Old Business:
·       Susan C. asked if we had any information from the resident who had requested permission to rent their unit due to hardship.  PSG has received nothing to date.

New Business:
·       Susan K. has contacted Berger Hargis several times to clarify the 2nd leaf removal issue.  The board requested two leaf pickups, but it is unclear on the contract if Berger Hargis will be coming once or twice.  She will update when she hears back from them.
·       Derry was asked by a homeowner to make a request to the board.  The homeowner would like the concrete drive way repaired, all windows replaced, a new garage door installed & the chimney replaced.  The board denied his request, though he did get a new garage door in the recent replacement cycle and the chimney is tentatively scheduled to be replaced new year, per the yearly replacement schedule.  The homeowner offered to pay for all these repairs (or what the HOA will not cover at this time) and requested the board issue him credit for future payments.  The board denied this request also.
·       The board desires to have a “welcome to the neighborhood” session with each new owner as they move into the neighborhood.  John S. will be heading this initiative. 
·       Final details were worked out for the Annual Meeting on Oct. 15th.
·       The board is currently receiving mowing bids for next year.
·       The board is currently receiving snow removal bids for next year.
·       The board is reviewing cost of wood vs. vinyl on future window replacement.

The meeting ended at 6:22 pm.

The Annual Meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 15th at the Plainfield Library.
The next monthly meeting will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 13th at the Plainfield Library.


OCTOBER MINUTES APPROVED:
Via e-mail: Chestnut, Shrock & Laybold 10/15/19, Schwegman 10/17/19

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

September 2019 Board Minutes


White Lick Home Owners Association Board Meeting Minutes
September 11, 2019
Plainfield Public Library

Board members in attendance:  Derry Shrock, Diana Laybold, Susan Chestnut, John Schwegman
Property Service Management Group staff in attendance:  Larry Edwards, Susan Keene
Four residents in attendance.

The meeting began @ 4:31 pm

August minutes were approved via e-mail.

Financial Report:
·       Susan Keene went over the August financials. 
·       It was noted that funds were moved from the Chimney budget to the Garage Doors budget line as requested at the last meeting to allow for 11 garage doors to be replaced this year.  Those doors have been ordered.
·       August Financials were approved.
·       July financials were also approved.

Architectural Committee:
·       Susan Chestnut reported there were two requests submitted last month:
o   275 E. Andrews requested that the HOA remove a tree.  The request was denied on the basis that the tree is not dead.
o   277 E. Andrews requested to remove 2 trees & 2 shrubs from their back yard at their expense.  The request was approved.
·       The committee & board sent covenant violations letters to five residents.
·       Susan C. informed the group that on 9/9/19, Sheila Richardville officially stepped away from the Architectural Review Committee.  The board thanks Sheila for her many years of dedicated service!  Diana requested that Susan C. become the temporary chair of the committee.
·       The Architectural Request Form has been updated on the PSG website.  The change will allow the form to be returned to PSG rather than an individual.  The board feels this process will be more efficient.
·       Derry requested that the new form be updated even more to make it clear that if a resident adds something new, (i.e. window not done through the HOA, plants a tree not done through the HOA, etc.) the future expense to maintain and fix these items is the responsibility of the home owner. 
·       Derry suggested that we also impose a fine system for residents who install or change things without having first submitted an Architectural Request Change.  The Architectural Request Change should be turned in prior to most updates/changes, therefore, following the proper authorizing channels.  Making the change prior to approval has become an issue in the past few months and the board would like to attempt to rectify this issue.

Social Committee:
·       Diana announced that the next two board meetings will be on Oct. 9th & Nov. 13th.  Due to library availability, the Annual Meeting will be on Tuesday, October 15th from 6:30 – 8:30.

Resident comments:
·       One resident inquired about the follow-up regarding the covenant violation letters that were sent.  Who was checking to see that the residents did comply with the covenants by the imposed due date?  Susan C. was asked to follow-up and advise the board & Property Services Group if the requests were not completed by the due date so further communication with the resident could take place.
·       PSG advised that they had received two resident calls regarding pests, which the HOA does not correct:
o   One home had a snake issue.  Larry advised that the HOA does not cover such issues and gave them a place to contact for assistance.
o   One home had a bat issue.  Larry put screen on the top of the chimney flue.  Larry provided the resident with a place to contact for assistance.
·       Larry advised that the resident at 258 had a dead and diseased tree in the back yard.  Larry recommended the tree be removed.  Wolfe Tree Service provided an estimate to remove the tree & stump.  The Board approved the removal of the tree.
·       Susan C. advised PSG of another tree/shrub in the back yard of a residence that should possibly be removed.  Larry & Derry will investigate.

Old Business:
·       No old business

New Business:
·       Letters will go out soon to the residents regarding the Annual Meeting, Budget, Open Board Positions, etc.
·       Diana requested PSG to begin the process of taking bids for the following areas:
o   Painting (the residences on the interior loop are due to be painted next summer.  Garage doors will not be painted as most will have new maintenance-free doors by then or coming in the near future).
o   Mowing.  (Derry requested we get bids that specify push mowers are to be used in most front yards & between houses where space is limited).
o   Snow removal. 
·       One resident has requested approval to rent their unit under the “hardship” clause of the covenants.  The board has approved the request for the period of one year, at which time the approval will be reviewed again.  The owner must abide by all stipulations set for in the approval notice.
·       Larry E. is looking into window prices (wood vs. vinyl)
·       The board approved the rear door replacement at 217 Andrews.

The meeting ended at 6:11 pm.

The next meeting will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 9th at the Plainfield Library.


SEPTEMBER MINUTES APPROVED:
Via e-mail: Chestnut 9/13/19, Shrock & Schwegman 9/14/19, Laybold 9/16/19

Thursday, August 29, 2019

August 2019 Board Minutes


White Lick Home Owners Association Board Meeting Minutes
August 14, 2019
Plainfield Public Library

Board members in attendance:  Derry Shrock, Diana Laybold, Susan Chestnut, John Schwegman
Property Service Management Group staff in attendance:  Larry Edwards, Susan Keene
Four residents in attendance.

The meeting began @ 4:31 pm

July minutes were approved via e-mail.

The meeting began with Diana addressing the residents in attendance by telling them that they would have a time to speak during the resident questions and comments, as the board wishes to hear their thoughts and concerns.  (However, a tenant should ask to be placed on the agenda at least 2 weeks in advance if they have specific issues they would like the Board to address.)  She asked for no comments through out the meeting and informed the crowd that when it was time for the Board to discuss resident issues, they would be asked to leave.

Diana also introduced our newest Board member, .  John Schwegman.  John was appointed due to Stu Mason’s resignation.  John lives at 223 Andrews E. Blvd.  John has been appointed to the Board as of August and will run for the position in October.

Diana also thanked Susan Keene for updating the resident directory for the Board.

Financial Report:
·       Susan Keene went over the July financials.  There were some issues with the Board receiving complete copies of all the receipts, etc. so financials were not approved at the meeting. Once all documentation is received and confirmed accurate, the Board will approve the financials via
e-mail.

Architectural Committee:
·       Susan C. reported that no architectural requests were submitted.
·       Derry questioned the process for approval of requests.  He suggested that when items are approved that are out of the ordinary (where homeowner takes responsibility for the item, for instance) their responsibility should be specified in writing, signed by the homeowner & placed in their file at the Property Services Office.  HOA should not be held accountable once the property is sold and new owners come along.
·       Derry also suggested that changes be made to the Architectural Committee process where the board is made aware of a request at the time of the request, and then again made aware of the committee’s decision. This way, the board is aware of requests & outcomes in the community.
·       The board will ask PSG to update the Architectural Request form that is online so that the form is turned into PSG in the future.  They will also update the website to show what residents serve on the Architectural Committee.

Social Committee:
·       Diana announced that the date of the Annual Meeting will be Oct. 10th.

Resident comments:
·       There was a question regarding a resident who has a privacy fence, which was approved by the Architectural Committee years ago.  Several other residents would like privacy fences. 
An Architectural Request would have to be submitted and then decided upon on a case-by-case basis, but as a general rule, privacy fences are not allowed.
·       Top soil quality was discussed.   Susan C. has been complaining about the quality of top soil that PSG is putting down to grow grass.  The group asked Larry Edwards to purchase a bit costlier top soil in the future in hopes it will not contain rocks & debris.
·       Jim O’Connor requested a copy of the plat information showing who owns the driveways & sidewalks.  Diana will get that information to him.
·       It was discovered that there are several “White Lick” covenants that residents are referencing.  Some home owners have gone to the court house and received the covenants for the Courtyards or the private home area at the north end of the street.  The board suggest that you visit PSG website (psgcondo.com) to obtain a correct copy. 
·       The three feet plant beds/resident area around the units were discussed.  The board is working to iron out the three-foot issue.  It was again noted that if a resident does not want to continue to upkeep an existing flowerbed, they can remove the border & plants.  Then ask PSG to plant it in grass seed.  The area would then become part of the yard & be maintained by the lawn care company.
·       One resident complained that Berger/Hargis has not trimmed their backyard, nor that of their neighbors for 3 weeks.  After calling PSG to report this, Berger/Hargis sent the supervisor to speak with the resident.  The supervisor assured them they would trim on the next mow cycle, but they did not.  The board asked the resident to contact PSG again.
·       One resident complained about feral cats around their property causing the area to smell.  The board suggested they could possibly spray something for it, but the HOA does not take care of this problem.
·       One resident wished to know when their chimney was due to be replaced.  The board cannot give a definite time-frame because the needs are constantly changing.  The chimney in the worst repair is replaced first and so forth.  The board’s goal is to replace five chimneys per year. 

Old Business:
·       No old business

New Business:
·       Derry made a motion to use $11,000 from the budget to replace eleven garage doors using the $5000 left in the garage door budget and taking $6000 from the chimney budget.  Susan C. 2nd the motion, Diana & John agreed.  The motion passed.

The meeting ended at 5:36 pm.

The next meeting will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 11th at the Plainfield Library.


AUGUST MINUTES APPROVED:
Via e-mail: Chestnut 8/16/19, Laybold & Shrock 8/17/19, Schwegman 8/18/19

Monday, August 5, 2019

July 2019 Board Minutes


White Lick Home Owners Association Board Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2019
Plainfield Public Library

Board members in attendance:  Tom Lee, Derry Shrock, Diana Laybold, Susan Chestnut
Property Service Management Group staff in attendance:  Larry Edwards, Susan Keene
Four residents in attendance.

The meeting began @ 4:30 pm

June minutes were approved via e-mail.

Financial Report:
·       Susan Keene went over the June financials
·       Susan Chestnut questioned a few of the charges from PSG.  Larry is to look into it & get back to  her with more details

Architectural Committee:
·       Four requests were submitted to the Architectural Committee in June.  All were approved.

Social Committee:
·       Diana sadly reported that one resident has passed away.  Flowers will be sent from the community.

Resident comments:
·       Residents presented mowing concerns.
·       Residents informed the board of their concerns involving two neighbors.

Old Business:
·       No old business

New Business:
·       Diana confirmed the date of the Annual Meeting for Wed. Oct. 9th (NOTE:  Date has been changed to Thursday, Oct. 10th as the Plainfield Library did not have a room available on Oct. 9th)
·       Derry gave an update regarding his & Larry Edwards walk around the community evaluating the replacement needs of garage doors, chimneys, windows, and general appearance of the units/common areas.  They surmised that:
o   30 plus windows should be replaced
o   12 should be replaced by end of the year, if possible (6 have been done so far this year)
o   51 chimneys have been rebuilt so far, 1 left to be done this year.
·       Discussion took place about the homes who do not maintain their flower beds where weeds are present.  A resident who cannot maintain their area should have the area put back to grass so that the mowers can maintain the area.  PSG will spray weed killer where it is appropriate to maintain the aesthetics of the community.
·       Susan C. made a motion to investigate options of investing the $100,000 reserve to allow these funds to gain a better interest rate.   Tom Lee 2nds the motion.  Susan will speak with a few local banks and bring that information back to the Board.
·       Susan C. also made a motion that the board take the extra funds in our account, over the $100,000 reserve, to replace some windows, garage doors & chimneys this year.   No decision was made at this time.
·       There was a discussion about replacing windows with vinyl windows & framing rather than wood, that is currently being used, so that the exteriors of the units could eventually be maintenance free.  This would eventually alleviate the need for most painting. This will be discussed further in the future.
·       One resident has requested her tree be replaced as it was accidentally sprayed by a chemical last year and now the tree has died.  The tree will be replaced in the fall.  Derry made the motion for the HOA to cover the cost of replacement:  Tom 2nd the motion and all approved.

The meeting ended at 5:23 pm

The next meeting will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 14th at the Plainfield Library.


JULY MINUTES APPROVED:
Chestnut & Shrock via email 7/28/19
Laybold via email 7/30/19

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

June 2019 Board Minutes


White Lick Home Owners Association Board Meeting Minutes
June 12, 2019
Plainfield Public Library

Board members in attendance:  Tom Lee, Derry Shrock, Diana Laybold, Susan Chestnut
Property Service Management Group staff in attendance:  Larry Edwards, Susan Keene
One resident in attendance.

The meeting began @ 4:30pm

May minutes were approved via e-mail.

Financial Report:
·       Susan Keene went over the May finance report.  No vote was taken for approval of the financials as more time was needed to review.  Vote will be taken via e-mail.   NOTE:  Financials were approved by all board member via email on 6/17, 6/18 & 6/25.
·       Susan K. reported that two residents are behind in paying the monthly HOA fees.  Letters have been sent notifying them to bring their account up-to-date.  If they do not bring their account up-to-date, the matter will be passed over to our attorney for collection.

Architectural Committee:
·       Nothing to report.
·       Susan will contact Sheila to request that the Architectural Committee meet in the very near future to begin creating strict guidelines for our association.

Social Committee:
·       Garage Sale was a success!  At least 15 residents participated. 

Resident comments:
·       None

Old Business:
·       Board members & Larry Edwards will survey the community for things that need to be addressed (covenant violations, cement repair/replacement, chimney replacement, PSG maintenance) so follow-up can be done.

New Business:
·       Several residents were sent letters last month informing them they were in violation of the covenants with regard to maintaining their flowerbeds & the storage of trash.  If a resident no longer wishes to maintain a flowerbed, they are asked to remove the plants, weeds, mulch or rocks, plus any barrier that outlines the flowerbed.  They should then contact PSG to ask that grass seed be planted.  Once this occurs, the area will become part of the yard and be maintained by the association.
·       It been reported that we have several units with satellite dishes affixed to the roof.  This is a clear violation of the covenants.  The board will do a walk around to assess those unit numbers & any other violations taking place in the community.  Letters will be sent to have the issues corrected.
·       The board set the date for the annual meeting:  Wednesday, October 9, 2019 @ 6:30 p.m.
·       Fifty-one chimneys have been completed thus far. 
·       Susan C. asked if we could replace more than 5 chimneys a year seeing that we didn’t get all 5 done last year and we are so ahead of schedule this year.  Derry responded he would rather take those funds to put in garage doors.  Fifty garage doors have been replaced in the community thus far.
·       Susan K. will update the home owner list and distribute copies to the board.
·       The board will continue to seek replacement board members. 
·       Diana planted geraniums at the entrance.  Thank you Diana!

The meeting ended at 5:16pm

The next meeting will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 10th at the Plainfield Library.


JUNE MINUTES APPROVED:
Chestnut & Laybold – 6/17/19
Shrock – 6/18/19
Lee – 6/25/19